About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Reds Top Prospect Daniel Corcino Pitches in B Game vs Seattle

Daniel Corcino's background is very similar to Johnny Cueto's.  He is from the Dominican.  He is on the short side (compared to the 7 pitchers 6'5" and taller).  He stands 5'11 and weighs 203 pounds.

Corcino signed with Cincinnati as a non-drafted free agent in 2008.  He is 21-years old from Azuz, Dominican Republic.

Corcino is non-roster player invited to camp.  He is pitching the B game against Seattle prospects Monday morning.

At Dayton last season, Corcino was 11-7 at Dayton last season with a 3.42 ERA in 26 starts.  He struck out 156 batters in 139 1/3 innings.

"I've had good reports on him," Baker said.  "I've only seen him pitch in the bullpen.  I know he gets after it. One thing I like.  You have to calm him down.  He throws the ball 100mph every drill. He's first when we do the warm up drills every morning."

Johnny Cueto and Corcino are seen everywhere together.

"He plays catch with Cueto.  He hangs with Cueto," Baker said.  "I call him Cueto Jr.  He is pretty proud of that really.  He's a smart young man too, speaks good English for the amount of time he's been here."

Corcino sought out Cueto as soon as he signed.

"My manager (Venzuelan Rookie League), Manuel Salano told me I reminded him of Cueto," Corcino said. "I went to spring training and went to the major league side every day."

He pitched two scoreless innings.  He hit the first batter he faced.

"I feel a little nervous," Corcino said.  "I just tried to concentrate on the hitters.  Mario Soto helped me a lot and I was calm after that."

18 Scouts watch Corcino and Seattle best pitching prospects
Cueto watched his protege through the fence.  There were no seats with no fewer than 18 scouts on the bleacher behind the plate.

"I talk to him a lot," Cueto said after his outing against Cleveland.

No comments:

Post a Comment