About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Reds Hit Three Home Runs in 8th to Down Tribe 6-5

Todd Frazier hit his fifth home run in the eighth inning of Dan Wheeler, who was told he made the Indians team earlier in the day. The next hitter, Juan Francisco connected for his fourth and second in as many games.

The two blows cancelled home runs by Carlos Santana and Asdrubal Cabrera off Reds opening day starter, Johnny Cueto.

Frazier and Francisco are battling for the last spot on the bench. Francisco has the advantage of providing lefthanded power off the bench and he is out of options. The Reds would lose him through waivers if they tried to send him back. But he fell out of favor with Dusty Baker because he reported 12 pounds over weight. He also was slowed by a calf injury.

Frazier has options left but made his case this spring by being a better defensive player and banging out 10 extra base hits.

"They both have had plenty of at bats," said Baker, avoiding a choice on the spot.

Cueto allowed just four hits in six innings and threw 98 pitches. He walked one and struck out three

"Johnny threw the ball great," Baker said. "Cabrera hit s breaking ball up and Santana hit a fastball that was supposed to be in but was out over the plate."

The Indians scored three runs off minor league pitcher Donnie Joseph to take a 5-1 lead into the eighth.

Willie Harris another player trying to earn a job, singled and scored on Ryan Ludwick's double.

Ryan LaMarre the Reds second round pick in the 2010 draft out of the University of Michgan, hit his first home run off Wheeler.

Cueto looks ready to start the season.

"I'm ready," Cueto said through Marcus Soto, the son of Mario Soto. "I learned a lot from watching Aaron Harang and (Edinson) Volquez. I feel like I'm the number one now. I've grown a lot but I have to keep on working."

No comments:

Post a Comment