About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Reds Batter Tribe 8-6..Bailey and Chapman Work Two Innings Each

The Reds scored five runs off Ubaldo Jimenez in the first inning.

Miguel Cairo had a two-run single in the inning.  Dtew Stubbs and Cairo each doubled home a run.  Dioner Navarro, trying to regain the All-Star status he earned for Tampa Bay hit a home run to conclude the scoring.

Homer Bailey allowed a three-run home run in the first to Shelley Duncan but what hurt most was a walk on a 3-2  pitch to Russ Canzler the batter before Duncan.

"I thought the pitch to Duncan was a good high fastball but Shelley got on top of it," Bailey said. "The walk hurt worse.  The 2-2 pitch was close but I would have never thrown a 3-2 curve ball with a five run lead during the regular season. We have to work on pitches here.

Aroldis Chapman fell behind hitters but walked just one and allowed two hits.  He struck out three.

He too was working on pitches other than his fastball.

"I used all of my pitches but I didn't throw the pitches that I wanted to throw as much as I'd like," said Chapman.  "I wanted to throw the fastball more."

Sean Marshall's curve ball wasn't in mid season form.  He gave up two runs on two hits and a walk in his inning, allowing two earned runs.

"I'm not worried about Sean," Baker said. "He's not getting his curve ball over yet."

Drew Stubbs has not struck out in either games.  He has three hits in those two games.  The Reds wanted him to cut down on strike outs.  He set a team record with 205 last season.

No comments:

Post a Comment