About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bronson Arroyo Is Singing at Woodjock on Thursday

Jake Peavy of the Chicago White Sox has organized a concert that benefits Major League Charities RBI Program.  (Reviving Baseball in the Innercity). The event will be held at Toby Keith's I Love That Bar and Grill in Mesa, Arizona.

Grammy nominee Joe Nichols (Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off) will perform along with the Reds Bronson Arroyo and former Reds draft pick and Cleveland  Indians player Ben Broussard.

Nashville recording artist, Keni Thomas, a former Army Ranger and Hollywood Yates along with Lyle Lovett guitarist, Herndon Brothers.

Arroyo who picked up a guitar for the first time as a Double A minor league player, will not play guitar but will sing some Pearl Jam tunes.

"It should be a fun time," Arroyo said.  "I have some friends coming into town. Some professional musicians who play with me a lot of times in Boston.  We don't have time to rehearse.  We have 15-20 minutes to sing four or five songs.  We never have had a name for the group."

"We're playing all Pearl Jam stuff so we're going to be ripping off Eddie Vetter," Arroyo said.  "I'm bringing in buddies to play for me because my fingers go numb from holding a pick with my carpel tunnel.  After holding a pick for years and years it causes my fingers to go numb it's really weird.  It keeps me from throwing a breaking ball and having command so once the season get going I don't play."

"I consider myself a musician because I've played a lot," Arroyo said.  "Barry Zito's played a lot and Jack McDowell (former White Sox pitcher) did too.  I wouldn't have been one if I didn't play baseball because I didn't pick up a guitar unitl I'd been playing a few years.  I do love it though.  I play the guitar every day until I stop because of my hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment