About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mat Latos Regrets That Alonso Was Traded For Him

Latos Reacts to a Pitch in Live BP
Mat Latos is excited about a new start with a new team but he wishes that Yonder Alonso was not one of the four highly respected prospects the Reds had to trade for him.

Latos is a native of Alexandria, Virginia but played high school baseball in Coconut Creek, Florida and in college at Broward Community College near Miami. Alonso played college baseball at the University of Miami.

"The one guy I didn't want to get traded for was Yonder Alonso," Latos said.

A writer told Latos nothing against you but I was unhappy they traded him for you.

"So was I," Latos said.  "He's got a sweet swing man."

The Reds gave up more than Alonso, a number one draft pick but also traded Yasmani Grandal and Brad Boxberger.  Grandal was also a number one pick and Boxberger was chosen between the first and second round.  They also gave up former 17-game winner, Edinson Volquez.

"You look at it and its obvious that Cincinnati wanted me and thought I was worth more than the four guys they gave up.  At the same time, San Diego thought the four guys they got were more valuable than I am," Latos said.

"They did themselves a favor and me a favor," Latos said. "They go rid of me and they got a great deal. They did me a favor by sending me to a team that wanted me more than they did."

The 24-year old is trying to get to know his new teammates.

"I didn't know Joey Votto was so quiet," Latos said.  "Either he's quiet or he doesn't like me."

Latos had bursitis last spring and worried  it to pitch very well in the second half of the year.

He won 14 games in 2010 and only nine last season but had a good run the second half of the year.

"I had a talk with Jed Hoyer who told me enough of the 92-94 two seamers, go out and throw 95 like you use to," Latos said.

Latos has been in the middle of practical jokes already this spring.  He chatters constantly. And can't figure out when to golf or fish, so he does both.

"I golf for the comraderie.  When I'm shanking balls left or right, or I'm making new homes for ground hogs every time I'm trying to hit of the deck.  Occasionally, I'll have that one good shot. That will be on the first nine.  By the time I get to the back nine, I'm so aggravated with the bad shots that I had, 'I say you know what my fishing pole is right here', maybe I can do something I'm good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment