About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Marshall Is Making Cincinnati His Home

The Reds have agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension with set-up man Sean Marshall, who could become the closer down the road.

They traded three players to the Cubs to get the left-hander in December. He'll be the set-up man to new closer Ryan Madson this season. General manager Walt Jocketty says the contract extension puts the 29-year-old Marshall in line to become the closer if that role opens up eventually. Madson has a one-year deal with a team option for next season.

Marshall was entering the final season on a two-year deal that will pay him $3.1 million in 2012.

The Reds traded left-handed starter Travis Wood, outfielder Dave Sappelt and a minor leaguer to get Marshall, who had a 2.78 ERA and 5 saves last season.

"I'm super excited," Marshall said. "Since day one when I came to the new facility over here. I got to meet my Reds teammates and the staff, I got to get back with Dusty (Baker), they are all very welcoming. The Reds have taken good care of myself. I can see they've taken good care of all their players. I'm excited to spend the next four years in a Reds uniform and hopefully help them to a championship."

Marshall would have been eligible for free agency at the end of this season.

"We made the trade for him with the idea to extend him," Jocketty said. "He's a quality person, I think he'll add a lot to our franchise for three years, actually we have him for four years now. If you look at the quality of his work. He's one of the top setup guys in the game and we have the flexibility if we want to use him in a few years as the closer."

Marshall has ambitions to close games and is
.
"As a reliever the premiere job is to be the closing pitcher. I think if the opportunity arises and I'm handed the ball in the ninth inning, I'd like to do what I do best, execute pitches.  I think I'm more than capable of it," Marshall said.

The deal gives Marshall stability and includes a partial no trade clause.

 "This deal gives me peace of mind and will make me pitch better," Marshall said. "I feel the deal is as good as I could get as a free agent. Them being open to a long term extension is what I was looking for.  We picked a few cities that we didn't think we'd want to live. There are a couple teams on the list but hopefully we'll just pitch well here and we won't have to worry about that."
 
Marshall took a good look around the area before he signed long term..

"I've always enjoyed the city," said Marshall, who visited the Greater Cincinnati Area in December.  "I've always enjoyed the city but we stayed downtown.  I didn't get to see a lot of suburbs.  My family and I are excited to make Cincinnati our home for the next four years."

No comments:

Post a Comment