About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Joey Votto Excited About 2012 Wont Talk About Contract Extension

Joey Votto watched with excitement as the Reds made several big acquisition this winter.

"I'm excited. It seems like a trend.  We picked up Scott Rolen, made a big splash by signing Aroldis Chapman.  I think the front office did a great job getting Matt Latos, Ryan Madson, Ryan Ludwick and some others.  We took some chances with who we gave up but got a lot in return," Votto said.

Many have speculated that given the huge contract that Prince Fielder signed with Detroit, that the Reds could not afford such a contract and made the moves to win now.

Votto won't discuss it.

"I am going to make it pretty simple for you and give you the same answer everyone else gets.  "I'm going to leave those things to the front office, my agent and myself. I'm going to keep it private.  It's not fair to the fans, myself or the team.  I don't want it to become a distraction.  As much as players want to say it doesn't affect them. I'm human.  It's exhausting.  The fans know about it, the team knows about it and management knows about it.  I don't want it to creep into the season.  Whether I sign and extension with the Reds or get to the point of free agency, I will have a comment about it.  I'm lucky.  I signed a three year contract that has two more left.  I'm in a position that I don't have to comment."

Votto said he didn't know enough about Ryan Braun's situation to comment on it but said he isn't concerned that Braun's overturned suspension could cost the Reds games.

"I don't care about that.  I think we have enough," Votto said.

No comments:

Post a Comment