About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dave Miley Leads Indios De Mayaguez to Puerto Rican Winter League Title

Former Cincinnati Reds manager Dave Miley, led the Mayaguez Indians to the Puerto Rican Winter League title last month.

Miley managed the Reds for a season and a half from 2003 to 2005 after spending 15 years as a minor league skipper.  Miley took over the Columbus Clippers after the Reds fired him at mid-season 2005.

The 49-year old was drafted by the Reds in the second round in 1980 as a catcher out of Tampa Chamberlin High School.  Miley never made the major leagues as a player.

He turned the Clippers around when he took them over. His team went worst to first.  Miley followed the Yankees Triple A team when they switched their agreement to Scranton Wilkes-Barre.  The Yankees Triple A affiliates have a combined record of 409-304 with Miley managing them.

He told Javier Maymi of ESPNDeportes, "I am not thinking about that (managing in the major leagues).  I'm not even going to talk about that.  If the phone rings, we'll talk.  I really like my job with the Yankees."

Miley managed a pair of Cincinnati minor leaguers with Mayaguez, Dayton thirdbaseman, Dave Vidal and Billings outfielder, Juan Silva.  Former Elder and Xavier University pitcher Charles Leesman, who pitches in the Chicago White Sox organization, was on Miley's staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment