About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Bearcats Maul Wolfpack in 44-14 Win

The University of Cincinnati Bearcats put up over 500 yards of offense and took advantage of three turnovers to soundly whip the North Carolina State Wolfpack on Thursday.

Isaiah Pead ran for 167 yards,. Zach Collaros ran for 60 and threw for 233 and two touchdowns.

NC State took the last meeting at home last September with a 30-19 win over the Cats.

This one was completely different.  Cincinnati turned an interception by Drew Frey into a touchdown.  The pick followed a 76-yard punt by Pat O'Donnell the second longest in Bearcat history.

"I knew we were going to play exceptionally well," Cincinnati coach Butch Jones said. "Our kids were very focused."

They jumped on the Wolfpack with a vengeance buildin a 21-0 lead until Mike Glennon found T.J. Graham behind the UC defense with 4:30 left in the first half.

"They came out fast and furious and we didn't match it.," Graham said.  "The touchdown gave me a spark because I fumbled the series before but the spark didn't last long."
Jones is convinced last year's loss in Raleigh was the catalyst for this game.

"We were really disappointd with the way we played against them last year.  They dominated us in all three phases.  It wasn't even close," Jones said. "I think our kids took a lot of pride in being a tough football team.

No comments:

Post a Comment