About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Charlie Morton Ends Reds Streak 5-0

This one was pretty one sided and did not belong to the Reds.  It belonged to Charlie Morton, who has transformed his pitching style and pestered the Reds with it.

Bronson Arroyo gave up five runs in seven innings but it wasn't as bad as the line looks.  He gave up two costly home run balls.  One to Pedro Alvarez, who slammed his second of the season with two runners on and Andrew McCutcheon with one man aboard.

For the second time this season, Morton handled the Reds.  On April 15 Morton pitched a complete game and the only run he allowed was a ninth inning home run to Jay Bruce.  Tonight Bruce was out of the lineup with flu like symptoms and the Reds couldn't score.

"Sometimes there is a period of time when someone has your number," Dusty Baker said.  "We have to figure him out because he's sure given us the blues.  He's changed his style of pitching.  He is throwing a sinker now and keeping it down.  Most of his outs were on ground balls.  It is hard to elevate the two-seam fastball if he keeps it down."

Morton was 2-12 last season with a 7.57 ERA.  He was 0-2 with a 6.91 ERA against Cincinnati last year in three starts.

"Last year he was more of a power pitcher and I've been told that they didn't let him throw the sinker too much.  Now they have a new manager(Clint Hurdle) and pitching coach (Ray Searage)," Baker said.

Morton saw the same game unfold as the April 15 matchup, the opponent was also Arroyo, who also allowed five runs.

"Yeah, I almost thought the way (Fred) Lewis hit that ball (game ending flyout) that it was going to go out.  I looked up and said 'oh no', but Tabata was on the warning track catching it."

"That was the second time that Charlie has thrown a good game against me and I didn't fare so well," Arroyo said. "You have to tip your cap to him.  Five runs is five runs but I guess its better than doing it with 14 hits."

Alvarez had not homered since April 21st and McCutcheon was 0-for-12 against Arroyo.

"The law of averages were on McCutcheon's side," Baker said.

Morton credits his 5-1 record and 2.62 ERA which he used to snap the Pirates six-game losing streak, to a new delivery.

"It's like basically, I'm a new pitcher," Morton said.  "I have a new arm angle and added a harder cutter and the sink I get from my new arm angle is just different."

Morton allowed just two hits and the only time the Reds threatened was with two outs in the first inning.  Joey Votto singled and Brandon Phillips doubled with two outs to put runners on second and third.  Scott Rolen popped foul to the catcher to end the brief threat.  Morton allowed harmless singles to Lewis, Drew Stubbs and Chris Heisey and walked Rolen and Pual Janish without incident.

"Morton has made some big adjustments from last year," Votto said.  "He's made some real strides.  I've heard some people have compared him to Roy Halladay, but let's not get crazy now, I remember Aaron Cook, pitching like that.  I'd say he's similar to that."

The Pirates have now won four of the five encounters between the two teams, all in Cincinnati.

"Sometimes, that's how it works out with timing and scheduling," Votto said.

No comments:

Post a Comment