About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Aroldis Chapman to the Disabled List Jordan Smith Recalled

The Reds put flame throwing Cuban lefthander Aroldis Chapman on the 15-day disabled list with inflamation in his left shoulder.

There was no MRI taken but an analysis of Chapman's shoulder by Dr. Timothy Kremchek revealed the injury that has affected his mechanics.  It is believed that Chapman's recent control problems were caused by the ailment.

Jordan Smith was recalled from Louisville.

"That leaves us with one lefty in the bullpen," Dusty Baker said.  "(Jose) Arredondo has historically done better against lefthanders than righthanders."

Chapman has felt the pain for two weeks but it was only a slight pain until recently.

"I felt it about two weeks ago but it was just a small pain.  I continued to do my work," Chapman said through interpreter, Tomas Vera.  "I couldn't make 100 percent effort that affected my command."

He had a similar problem with the Cuban National Team.

"A majority of the pitchers had it in Cuba.  They would pitch with it."

The culture is such that players under report injuries for fear of being replaced in Cuba.  This has caused Chapman problems in the US.  He was slow reporting fatigue while the Reds were in San Diego in April.  Teammate Ramon Hernandez had a stern talk with the 23-year old on the bench about it.

"He wasn't as reluctant to talk about it this time," Baker said.  "I'm confident that he will come back soon after the 15 days are up.  He will get some rest some and go back to work.  In this game you're rarely 100 percent.  Anybody who has played this game for awhile, has had pain to deal with.  Sometimes a physical problem turns mental."

No comments:

Post a Comment