About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

World Champs Beat Reds 7-0

Andres Torres, Freddy Sanchez and Cody Ross homered of Bronson Arroyo in the third inning and the Reds couldn't score off 2010 rookie sensation Madison Bumgarner and five relievers.

The Reds managed five hits, four singles and one double by Scott Rolen.

Bronson Arroyo felt good in spite of the three home runs.

"I felt good.  They hit three off speed pitches out," Arroyo said.  "I needed to work on it.  I got a little tired after three innings and threw all fastballs in my fourth inning to build arm strength."

Edinson Volquez got his visa problem cleared up and flew all day to arrive in Phoenix at 10:30 pm on Wednesday night.  He will pitch to minor leaguers on the Reds day off on the 15th.  He will pitch the 20th, the 25th then has six days off for opening day.

"My arm felt good but my body was tired from flying all day," Volquez said.  "I was happy to get into a real game."

"He was pretty good for not getting here until late last night," Dusty Baker said.  "I'm just glad he's healthy."

Volquez gave up two runs on two hits and a pair of walks.

Aroldis Chapman allowed a run in two innings on two hits but he struck out three.

"He had a good change up that he's been working on," Baker said.  "He threw it for strikes.  We wanted to give him something to get guys off his fastball.  He looked a lot better this time out than he did last time."

No comments:

Post a Comment