About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Reds Leake Runs in 10-8 Loss To A's But Votto Shines

Joey Votto who has a history of slow starts had three hits and four RBI against the Oakland A's.  Votto homered, doubled and singled to raise his spring average to .324.

"It's good to get you big boys swinging the bat.  Votto is swinging it well, Bruce is and Gomes is swinging the bat better," Dusty Baker said.

On the down side Drew Stubbs struck out four times and had an infield single.

"Stubbs struggling a bit," Baker said.  "We'll get him in as a designated hitter in a minor league game to get him extra work."

But Mike Leake had his worst statistical outing of the spring, allowing seven runs in 2 1/3 innings, including home runs to Coco Crisp and Daric Barton.  The worst part of the outing was four walks.

"He was just missing," Baker said.  "He was close but he was a little off and not getting the calls.  He was throwing a little too hard for him and his ball wasn't moving as much."

Votto homered and Bruce doubled off lefthanded starter, Brett Anderson, who went six innings.  Gomes also took Anderson to downtown Goodyear.

"Joey Votto is the best hitter of all times and I have to get it in my head that I can't beat Jonny Gomes with fastballs inside," Anderson said.  "But I felt good and with a tight strike zone, I didn't walk anybody.  I feel good about that."


"He was just

No comments:

Post a Comment