About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Reds Camp Full of High School Stars

I was enjoying the Enquirer's Gallery of the top 100 multi-sport high school stars in Greater Cincinnati history this morning.

As I was reading the profile on Barry Larkin at no. 4, I heard his voice.  "Eerie" I thought but he was actually in the hall way near the media room.  He told me that his son, Shane, is going to playing Big East basketball at DePaul next season.

"His team lost in the state finals," Larkin said.  "I can't believe he's leaving home and going to college already."

His brother, Byron, was also on the Enquirer list at 23 and brother Mike was also considered.

Bill Doran from Mt. Healthy is on the list.  He is also coaching in Goodyear.

Tom Popplewell from Fairfield is also on the list.  His high school coach works security at Goodyear Ballpark during spring training.

There are several athletes that I competed against in one sport or another, not necessarily in high school but knothole baseball and youth football and basketball.

Steve Grote from Elder, Dave Sensibaugh of Lockland, Greg Stemrick from Lincoln Heights, Leon Murray from North College Hill, Dave Parker from Courter Tech, Steve Bell of Wyoming, Steve Niehaus from Moeller, Rick White of Princeton, Buddy Bell from Moeller, Mike Sylvester from Moeller and Don Hasselbeck from LaSalle.

No comments:

Post a Comment