About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, March 11, 2011

MVP Battle

Joey Votto the National League MVP and Josh Hamilton, the American League MVP are going head-to-head in Surprise, Arizona as the Reds take on the American League champion Texas Rangers.

Both had RBI singles in the first inning. Votto doubled in his second at bat.  He was hitting .125 coming into the game.

"He's started out slow since I've been here," Dusty Baker said.  "I'm not worried about Joey Votto.  I've seen guys kill it in spring training, then as soon as they put that third deck on the stadium, nothing."

Hamilton, the former Red, is hitting .240 with two RBI and no home runs.

Votto is making the trip to Las Vegas against the Chicago Cubs rather than playing the other split squad Cub game in Mesa, Arizona .  Baker isn't taking a lot of veterans because he feels they can get more work at the Goodyear facility.

"They asked foi Votto," Baker said.  "It's part of being the MVP.  He is going to deal with that a lot this year. He will have to learn how to save time for himself and the team."

The promoters of the game in Las Vegas have been using Votto's name in advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment