About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Miami's Chad Reineke Just Gets People Out

Chad Reineke didn't follow major league baseball as a youngster in Defiance, Ohio but he loved to play.  He well enough to pitch in college for Miami University in Oxford.

"Some of my teammates were from Cincinnati, so I guess I became a fan," Reinkeke said, after circumstances have given him the opportunity to show Dusty Baker what he can do.

"I appreciate the opportunity.  This is my third big league camp and I've pitched more games and innings than I ever had," Reineke said.

The former basketball player at Ayersville High, has four starts and five appearances in the major leagues.  He spent all of 2010 at Louisville after signing with the Reds as a minor league free agent in December 2009.  He was 9-9 and thought of as just an arm to fill the roster spot.

Edinson Volquez's visa problems gave the 28-year old a chance to start more spring training games than originally planned.

"You look at him and he doesn't have outstanding stuff," Dusty Baker said.  "But he keeps winning and getting people out.  He reminds me of John Burkett.  I don't know if Burkett had 150 wins in the big leagues but people were never impressed too much with his stuff.  He just got people out."

For my Colerain friends, Reineke was a teammate of  Mike Ferris at Miami University.

"He's a good friend of mine and a great player," Reineke said.  "I was at his house the day he was drafted."

No comments:

Post a Comment