About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Keep Your Eye On The Ball Or Lose It.....

Luis Salazar, who is the manager of the Atlanta Braves Lynchburg Class A team lost his left eye.

Salazar played in over 1,300 games in the major leagues alone, and has been close to countless more.

In a spring training game last week, Braves catcher, Brian McCann pulled a foul ball that struck the 54-year old on the left side of his face.  Doctors were unable to save his left eye.

"I think about that a lot," said Dusty Baker, who intends to call Salazar.  "People want to sit in the front row but its dangerous with foul balls and bats flying.  It is amazing that more accidents like this don't happen.  People aren't always paying attention."

Baker explained that in Japan there is a screen all the way around the ballpark protecting the first row of seats.

"It is less intimate," Baker said.  "I wouldn't mind seeing that here but they're not going to do it."

McCann was so upset, that he removed himself from the game.

"It happens to all of us. You feel terrible," Baker said.

No comments:

Post a Comment