About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Indians Thump Reds 12-0

The Cleveland Indians spoiled Sparky Anderson Day for the Reds.

The tribute to the Reds Hall of Fame manager was the high-point in the Reds' day on Monday.

Bronson Arroyo was very good in his two-inning stint.  A home run by Travis Buck officially made him the losing pitcher but he was pleased with his performance.

"Command wise that was as comfortable as I've felt in my first outing," Arroyo said.  "The most important thing is to stay healthy.  You can't simulate the adrenaline rush.  You're doing things that you haven't done in four months so you have to stay in tune with your body or you can hurt yourself."

Arroyo hasn't missed a start since he came to Cincinnati.

Aroldis Chapman pitched on his 23rd birthday.  He threw hard but wild.  He walked three and struck out two.

"He was collapsing his back leg," Dusty Baker said.  "It was a rough day.  Our pitchers had a rough day, we made five errors.  As good as we looked yesterday, we looked that bad today.  That's what spring training is for.  Hopefully, we leave these games down here."

Baker stopped to watch the tribute to Anderson.

"I used to call him when I first started managing about different things," Baker said.

Dontrelle Willis pitched also with mixed results.

"He threw some quality pitches but hurt himself with an errant pickoff throw," Baker said.  "Then he was trying not to give up a run.  I don't have a role for him yet.  He has to make the team first."

Willis has had three bad seasons and was asked about his comeback.

"I didn't go anywhere.  I was just terrible," Willis said.

No comments:

Post a Comment