About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ta'Shia Phillips Leads the Musketeers Over La Salle 102-51

Ta'Shia Phillips turned in her 14th double-double of the season and 69th of her career in a blowout of the Explorers.

Phillips left after logging just 22 minutes with 21 points and 10 rebounds.

Xavier built a 62-21 halftime lead then held La Salle without a field goal for the first 7:12 of the second half.

Xavier coach Kevin McGuff subbed liberally.  La Salle had just nine players dressed and Xavier's depth was oppressive.

Xavier played all twelve players and they all scored. Eleven Xavier played at least 10 minutes and 10 scored, including Amber Gray who scored nine. Freshman Shatyra Hawkes, who stands all of 5'3" and is known as "nugget" scored 12.  Sabrina Johnson had 11.

Ashley Wanniger out of Colerain High was the last to score, hitting a 3-point shot to give Xavier its first 100-point game since December 9, 2001 in a triple overtime game against Toledo.  It was the first time in regulation since they beat Eastern Kentucky 105-89 on November 28, 1998.

The irony was that Xavier's leading scorer and one of the top players in the country, Amber Harris, scored just four points.

"If you'd have told me that we would score 100 points and Amber would only have four of them, I'd have told you that a lot of things went right.  The thing I'm most proud of is the 27 assists," coach Kevin McGuff said.

Phillips was just as happy watching from the bench after La Salle was put away so early.

"Coach told us that we'd have to play as close to 40 minutes as possible," Phillips said.  'We strive for balance inside and out.  It was amazing to watch from the bench.  Sometimes you get so caught up in the game.  It's nice to sit a watch your teammates.  All of us scored so there you go."

Katie Rutan's five 3-point shots all in the first half signaled her recovery from an ankle injury that kept her out for close to five weeks.  Tonight she regained her stroke and confidence.

"She was out for five weeks.  You can't expect her to come back and shoot the way she did before, right away," McGuff said.

"I was a little rusty but a coach has been with me in the gym extra," Rutan said.  "It was a big deal for me.  My teammates may have confidence in me but I had to have it in myself.  I came out with a different mindset that I'm the best shooter in the gym."

No comments:

Post a Comment