About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Notes From Camp Rivalries Gomes Young Top Catchers

Notes:

Baker talked about the rivalry.  The Cubs and Cardinals have had a long time geographical rivalry.  The Reds and Cardinals developed a competitive rivalry.

"You have historic rivalries," Baker said.  "But others pop up.  When I was with the Dodgers we had a rivalry with the Reds, then in the late 70's it changed to a rivalry with Houston."

Baker revealed the he had a run in with Reds pitcher and now his minor league roving pitching instructor Mario Soto.  "He hit me twice once in spring training and once in the season," Baker said.  "I told him if it happened again, we will go at it."

Baker talked about Gomes losing 30 pounds since he joined the Reds.  Gomes went from first and third the most in the league last year.  "You've got to do what you've got to do to stay in this game," Baker said.  "He's worked hard.  When I first saw him I asked him could he lose 30 pounds, he said 'How about 10'.  I told him I think you'd be better at 30.  I think he's lost 20-25 since he got here. He's been productive.  When you're operating on a moderate budget, you need guys like that, who are rebuilding their career."

"He might be in position with his weight and quickness, that I might let him run somemore," Baker said.

"Cairo was on a make it or go home route.  Edgar Renteria is like that, Hermida.  Like I tell them, I hope you can stay here but if you don't stay here or sometimes you play so well we can't afford you.  I hope your value is greater than when you got here."

Baker is impressed with Devin Mesoroco and Yasmani Grandal.

"They have good power for anybody, not just catchers.  They both work hard and pay attention."

No comments:

Post a Comment