About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Xavier Win Skip Prosser Over Wake Forest 83-75

One of Prosser's legacies was present on this night.  David West was inducted along with Prosser into Xavier's Hall of Fame and gave the current Musketeers an inspirational pre-game speech.

An inspired Tu Holloway responded with Xavier's first Triple Double since West turned in one in 2001.

Holloway had career highs with 10 rebounds and 14 assists to compliment his 14 points.  Kenny Frease poured in a career-high 22 points to gain revenge on the Demon Deacons, who beat the Musketeers in double overtime in the first Skip Prosser Classic.  Frease also turned in a double-double with 14 rebounds.

 Prosser coached both teams and was the Wake Forest coach at the time of his death in 2007.

Holloway suffered a cut above his left eye that required stitches at halftime and required a jersey change because of blood on his "52" jersey.

"It's a great feeling," Holloway said.  "Every time I try to do as much as I can."

Freshman J. T Terrell scored 27 points on this night.  Terrell is from North Carolina but did not know Prosser.  He felt the big game none-the-less.

"My teammates set screens to get me opein," said Terrell, who hit 6-of-10 3-point shots.  "I wasn't around when he was here but my coaches were.  I wouldn't call this a rivalry but this game meant a lot to my coaches that knew him.  Since it was a big game to them and we're a family, it was a big game to me."

"It was a very emotional last couple of day," said Chris Mack, the Xavier coach, who played for and coached with Prosser.  Skip meant a lot to so many people."

Wake Forest first year head coach, Jeff Bzdelik, who took over for Prosser's long time friend and fellow assistant at Xavier under Pete Gillen, was disappointed with the loss but got the game's deeper meaning.

"It was an honor for Wake Forest and me personally to honor such a great man," Bzdelik said.

No comments:

Post a Comment