About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Silver and Gold Keys to Winning Baseball

Manager Dusty Baker said of the Big Red Machine, "They won with silver and gold."

He was referring to "Silver Slugger" and "Gold Glove" awards.

The Reds had three players win the defensive honor on Wednesday.

Brandon Phillips, Scott Rolen and Bronson Arroyo were awarded the Gold Glove.

It is the first time that Cincinnati claimed four winners since C Johnny Bench, 2B Joe Morgan, SS Dave Concepcion and CF Cesar Geronimo won four years in a row from 1974-1977.

For Rolen his eighth award put him behind just Brooks Robinson (16) and Mike Schmidt (10) for 3B Gold Gloves.

"I like to think of it as an unselfish act," Rolen said.  "I think our defense won a lot of games."

Arroyo unseated Adam Wainwright, who was the 2009 winner.  Greg Maddux was the perennial winner until his retirement.

"It is not something that you think to much of as a pitcher.  It is mostly reaction.  I was not something that I anticipated," Arroyo said.  "It's icing on the cake.  I was shocked."

Phillips won the award for the second time in three years.

"It takes a lot of hard work," Phillips said.  "I work on pop ups and fielding balls in the hole.  I try to be the pitchers best friend.

Arroyo know the value of good friends.

"Having good infield defense can get a pitcher out of some bad situations.  If they turn a double play or just make a throw to get an out or save a base, it really helps a pitcher."

Joey Votto was considered in the voting by players and coaches.  Albert Pujols won the vote at 1B.

Shane Victorino, Michael Bourn and Carlos Gonzalez, edged Jay Bruce for an outfield award.

Baker would like to see Votto, Bruce and Drew Stubbs join the gold rush.

"I look back at plays that save runs," Baker said.  "Stats don't always tell you a lot.  Some players get to balls others don't and even players that make a error, make one because they get to balls that others don't.  I had four gold glove winners in San Francisco.  I look for guys like Joey, Jay and Stubbs to win one."

"As these guys get more established in the big leagues, I think you'll see these guys win one," Rolen added.

The Reds defense turned in 106 errorless games in 2010, seven more than the previous best year in franchise history which was 99 in 1992.

From May 4-16 the Reds put together a streak of 11 games without a miscue, the longest stretch since a 13-game streak in 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment