About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Joe Morgan Dismisses Playoff Jitters

Joe Morgan threw out the first pitch for the franchise that allowed him to play in his first postseason game.

"It was here against the Pittsburgh Pirates," Morgan said before Game 3 of the NLDS.

The Reds dropped Game 2 by making four errors, allowing six runs in a 7-4 loss on Friday.  With the Reds youthful roster and this being the first playoff experience for all but a handful of Reds, nerves were blamed by many fans and observers.

"You always have jitters," Morgan said.  "I had jitters for every game I played.  A lot of people said those errors the other night were caused by jitters.  But it was the two best players on the infield that made those mistakes, two gold glovers. I don't think that was the case.  I'm not trying to say there's not jitters with anybody that takes the field in the postseason. I don't think it had that much effect.  You might have a little more jitters in the playoffs because the stakes are higher.  I still think that once the ball is put in play, everything settles down."

No comments:

Post a Comment