About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Dusty Baker Signs a Two-Year Contract Extension

Two years ago in Sarasota, Dusty Baker took a look at the raggedy clubhouse staffers such as Elder grad, Rick Stowe and decided they needed a wardrobe makeover.

He bought the staff suits for travel.  He told noone.  They had to keep them for two years.

"Hey man this we're going to the playoffs dude," Baker told them at the time.  "I added some more guys here."

"He ordered them in Sarasota, and said 'You'll need these'" said Stowe, who looked surprisingly good in a Colerain T-shirt after losing a bet earlier in the football season.

On the day the Reds announced that Baker's contract was extended two years, the suits were hanging ready for a trip to Philadelphia.

"I want them all clean, looking good, representing and believing that we're going places," Baker said.

Bob Castellini turned the microphone over to General Manager, Walt Jocketty to make the announcement.

"With the success we've had this year and really the last couple years, today under the leadership of Dusty, we've got here to the playoffs sooner than we thought.  A lot of it is due in part to Dusty's leadership and his staff.  It's a great situation for this organization to be in the playoffs.  We believe that we are in position to be in the playoffs for many years to come," Jocketty said.  "Dusty has agreed a two-year contract extension.  We have also offered his coaches a two-year contract extension."

"Dusty, we are very pleased.  You've done a terrific job.  If all goes well, you might have another Manager of the Year Award."

"I want to thank Bob Castellini for having the faith in me to lead this team.  It always good to have someone else have faith in you, as you have faith in yourself.  I'm happy.  My family is happy.  People are going to ask me why two years so I'm going to answer that before you ask.  I'm not too superstitious but I've had my best success when, I've signed a two-year contract," Baker said. "I don't know why I just have."

The coaches were just offered extension a couple days ago.

"It is important to have continuity," Baker said.  "You have to have continuity of staff before you have continuity of team.  You have to have continuity of staff, trainers, ground crew, everybody.  I expect them back."

No comments:

Post a Comment