About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rolen Hurt - Bruce Day Off

This time of year everyone has aches and pains.  Scott Rolen has soreness in his shoulder and upper back so Super Sub Miguel Cairo will play thirdbase tonight.

Rolen tweeked his back and shoulder on his third at bat last night.

"I'm the proverbial day-to-day," Rolen said.

"I could tell last night," Dusty Baker said.  "He had some funky swings.  Plus he got real quiet.  He's quiet anyway but when he gets real quiet, something's wrong."

Bruce, who just came back from a side injury, will rest against Arizona lefthander, Joe Saunders.  Willie Bloomquist will play rightfield.  Bloomquist is fresh from Kansas City.  He just arrived.

"We want to give Jay a day off against the lefthander, let him heal some more.  We want to let (Chris) Heisey heal a little more too.  Heisey is available for the late innings but we don't want to give him four at bats just yet.  (Jim) Edmonds is getting better.  He's probably close.  (Laynce) Nix is getting better.  He's walking without a limp.  He's hitting but he hasn't run yet.  I've been holding my breath for two weeks."

Bloomquist considers himself and infielder but the Red have infielders that a relatively healthy.

"I am thankful for the opportunity," Bloomquist said.  "I just want to help these guy get to the playoffs and do the best I can.  I haven't played a lot of infield this year but I've become comfortable with the uncomfortable."

Bloomquist is not eligible to play in the postseason but his presence allow the walking wounded among the outfielders time to get better.

"We will play him tonight against the lefthander and probably the first game in Houston," Baker said.  "He (Bloomquist) hits lefthanders pretty well.  We'll start him against Wandy (Rodriguez Houston's lefthanded starter).  He gives Jay the blues anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment