About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Yonder Alonso Shows Huge Progress

The first pick in the 2008 draft has shown a great improvement in defense and offense.

The University of Miami slugger, who has been on the rise, is hitting close to .300.  He was a .260 hitter at the lower levels.

"He's progressed very well," Sweet said.  "He's really played solid defense.  He's improved at picking balls in the dirt.  I've been very pleased with the adjustments he's made at this level.  He's done a couple of things that we've talked about doing. He got here and was hitting .260 for quite awhile.  After some conversations and some hard work in how he approaches his at bats.  He's really taking off.  He's really swinging the bat well."

Alonso made some nice stops in the field on Thursday and hit a single in four at bats.

The lefthanded hitter is at .298 with 10 home runs and 52 RBI in 89 games in Louisville.  Including the 31 games he played at Carolina, Alonso is hitting .292 with 13 home runs and 65 RBI.

The Reds have not talked to Alonso about a call up. Having signed a Major League contract as did fellow Miami player, Yasmani Grandal, he is on the 40-man roster of the Reds.

Right now Alonso is learning and enjoying the journey.

"My concentration level went up.  From the beginning of the year. I've concentrated on my defense and these guys have been behind me.  I just try to do what I can to help the team win," Alonso said.

"These guys have helped me out a lot, the older players have been helping me."

He played some outfield.  His competition is with Joey Votto, who is having an MVP season with the big club.

"I played so much outfield the first half of the season that I barely played first," Alonso said.  "They wanted to make sure it balanced out."

"If you play every day, 140 games, you have to improve.  It has been going well.  My adjustments have been a lot better and sharper.  I honestly have to thank all the guys that are here, the veteran guys.  They've made my approach and the way I go about doing things a lot easier."

Alonso played a year with Grandal.

"He's unbelievable.  He was a freshman.  He can call his own game.  He can hit from both sides of the plate. He handled the pitching staff very well.  He can pretty much do it all with the catching aspect. He's a great hitter.  It's great to see them come around.  This minor leagues system is unbelievable and very stacked."

"It's fun man."

"If get to the Major Leagues this year it will be great but right now we have to concentrate on what we have to do tomorrow," Alonso said.

No comments:

Post a Comment