About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Washington Beat Up Volquez in 7-1 Win

Edinson Volquez could not duplicate his first outing of the year.

He walked four in 2 1/3 innings as the Nationals scored six runs off him.

Livan Hernandez used the lead to his advantage to shut down the Reds with one run on seven singles.  He did not walk a batter.

"His fastball was up and out of the strike zone and his change up is usually in the dirt.  If you can't throw your fastball for strikes they won't swing at the change up," Dusty Baker said.

Hernandez beat the Reds in Cincinnati for the first time in 10 years.

"When Hernandez gets a lead, he knows what to do with it.  He can throw any pitch in any count," Baker said.

Adam Dunn had just one hit in his return to Cincinnati and that was a two-run home run in the third inning off Volquez.

"Volquez has great stuff but he walked a lot of guys so you could zone him in,"  Dunn said.  The former Reds number two draft pick tries to treat the return the same as any other game.  "I don't think I try harder but maybe subconsciously I do," Dunn said.

For Volquez the bad outing is part of the process for getting back to action after elbow surgery.

"I didn't pitch in spring training," Volquez said.  "I felt good but I could not find the strike zone.  The only thing I can do is get ready for my next start."

No comments:

Post a Comment