About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Arroyo and Volquez Will Start the Second Half

Bronson Arroyo will be the starting pitcher on Friday as the first place Reds begin the second half of the season.

Arroyo stayed in Cincinnati and threw long toss on the side Tuesday and Wednesday.

 "We don't have to do a whole lot to stay in contention," Arroyo said.  "Our offense has been good.  Our starting pitching has been good.  The bullpen has always done what we wanted but Bill Bray is here now and gives us another lefthander, who is throwing the ball well."

Edinson Volquez will start against Colorado on Saturday.

Volquez served his 50-game suspension for use of performance enhancing drugs.  The performance that he was trying to improve was in the bedroom and not on the mound.  He had consulted a doctor in Cincinnati last December and his family physician in the Dominican Republic.

He and his wife were trying to start a family.  "The doctor prescribed it," Volquez said.  "Some people believe me and some people don't but it is behind me now."

Also behind the righthander that won 17 games in 2008 is a long road back from elbow surgery.

"I think my arm is better now.  I have more control," Volquez said.

After Saturday the starting pitching is up in the air.  Homer Bailey is a long way from ready and Aaron Harang is a little stiff yet according to Dusty Baker.

No decision has been made on Harang as far as a rehab assignment.

"The longer he is out, the less sharp he's going to be.  He's still a little stiff.  He probably won't make his next start," Baker said.

No roster move has been made yet.  The Reds did sign righthanded veteran Russ Springer to a minor league contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment