About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Reds Change Relievers

Enerio Del Rosario has major league stuff but minor league command.  The Reds sent the highly thought of righthanded reliever back to Triple A Louisville and recalled Jordan Smith from Double A Carolina.

The Reds are looking for someone to fill the gap from starter to closer and allow Arthur Rhodes to heal in his eighth inning setup role.

"Most of our starters have been going six and a fraction innings," Dusty Baker said.  "The seventh is an important inning.  (Logan) Ondrusek has been doing a good job but he can't do it by himself."

The Reds think highly of both Del Rosario and Smith.

Baker went on record that Smith threw the hardest sinker in spring training camp.

"We like what we've seen from Del Rosario.  He has the stuff its a matter of location," Baker said.

Smith, who has the makeup to be a major league closer, didn't have pretty numbers but David Bell, the Carolina manger gave the big righthander a good report.

"My ball has been moving real good lately," said Smith, who stands 6'4" and weighs in at 220 lbs.  "I started to get in a good rhythm the last three or four weeks."

Notes:

Ryan Hanigan took batting practice with the pitchers today.  He reported that it went pretty well but his fractured thumb is still hurting.  "I feel it when I catch the ball," Hanigan said.  "I've tried some padding but none that work with the mitt.  It's frustrating but I hope that in three or four days, I will only feel it when I catch the ball wrong or something.".........Brandon Phillips is back in the lineup after missing Sunday with a cramp.  "He had treatment on the off day," Baker said.  "He feels better.  He's been playing with it for awhile anyway.  I just told him to play smart.".......Today is Dusty Baker's 61st birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment