About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Manager Knows Best

I wasn't at the game last night, so I didn't know the situation in which Dusty Baker allowed pitcher Mike Leake to hit in the sixth inning.  Leake was not going to pitch in the seventh.

Marty Brennaman and some talk show hosts were extremely critical because they thought that Baker should have sent Scott Rolen in to pinch hit.

The situation was this.  Ramon Hernandez was on second base with two outs.  Philadelphia starter, Joe Blanton, was still pitching with a 6-3 lead.

Leake is a rookie pitcher who already had a hit off Blanton, but Scott Rolen has over 1,800 big league hits.

The broadcasters and radio hosts were so sure of themselves but neither has been named Manager of the Year.  In fact neither ever managed a game at any level.

Baker explained the move.

"I was going to take Leake out anyway," Baker said.  "They weren't going to pitch to Scotty with a base open.  I wouldn't.  Then I lose him with six innings to go.  The way the Phillies bullpen is situated, they had to use J.C. Romero (a lefthander) at some point.  I wanted to save Rolen for him.  I wasn't going to lose Nix that early either.  Plus Leake can hit.  If Hernandez would have walked or hit a single then its a different situation.  Things change.  Some people scratch their heads, especially when they are looking for something wrong."

I can remember Mike Hargrove standing by the batting cage in Florida.  He said, "There are two things that every man thinks they can do better than any other man.  One is grill steaks.  The other is manage a baseball team."

"You have a lot to think about," Baker said.  "You only have a couple minutes to make a decision."

No comments:

Post a Comment