About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Hanigan to the DL Corky Miller Up From Louisville

Ryan Hanigan broke his left thumb in the fourth inning last night but didn't know it.

He was trying to break up a double play but caught his thumb on the base as he reached for it.  There is a clean fracture at the top of his left thumb.

"It's a clean little fracture  I hope it calcifies soon," said Hanigan, who improved his batting average to a lofty .351, including a double four innings after the thumb was fractured.

"I tried to tough it out," Hanigan said.  "I took a couple of foul balls off it and blocked a sinker in the dirt.  I needed to take a minute and talk to the pitcher.  It could have been worse."

"It was a gutsy performance," Dusty Baker said.  "I knew something was wrong because I saw him catch a ball funny.  I kept checking him.  I'm glad we have depth at catcher.  I'm glad Corky Miller re-signed.  Catchers are always getting beat up.  He (Miller) was with us last year and caught a lot of these guys.  He was a big part of how strong we finished."

Miller needs to be added to the Major League 40-man roster which means the Reds have to expose someone to waivers.

"It's tough for Ryan," Miller said.  "You want to play here but don't want it to be for this reason."

Miller was hitting .282 with four home runs and 24 RBI.

"Last week was a tough week because we had travel but I was seeing the ball real good there (in Louisville).  I was here last year and in spring training so I know how the pitchers want to get guys out.  I've been working with (Louisville hitting coach) Smokey (Garret) so I can contribute at the plate.  I don't know if I can hit .350 for two months like Ryan."

No comments:

Post a Comment