About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Aroldis Champan Has a Good Outing

Chapman missed a turn with a blister of his own like Johnny Cueto.

Pitching against the Gwinnet Braves tonight, Chapman threw five scoreless innings and allowed three hits and one walk, while he struck out seven.

The 22-year old can throwthe ball 102 miles an hour but does not have the control that Mike Leake has.  Although his margin for error is larger, major league hitters will wait out a guy that can't hit his spots.

Yankee scout, Tim Naehring, once told me about a study he did.  If a pitcher puts the ball right down the heart of the plate batting averages don't decline on those pitches until the radar gun gets to 97.  Even then it is just a little bit.  The higher the velocity the more the average drops but it is still too high.  Pitchers have to put the ball in a spot that is harder for the batter to put the barrel of the bat on the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment