About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Leake Escapes a Jam

Mike Leake's first inning didn't start out as planned.

He walked Ryan Theriot to start the game.

"The kid may be a little nervous so you want to make him throw strikes," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said before the game.

Kosuke Fukadome hit s long fly to right centerfield that Drew Stubbs reached but it went off the tip of his glove. He walked the dangerous Derrek Lee on four pitches.

With the bases loaded and no outs, Leake induced Aramis Ramirez to pop out to Brandon Phillips. He struck out Marlon Byed and Alfonso Soriano to fly out to shallow right.

He threw 21 pitches, 10 for strikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment