About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rest for the Weary

Wily Taveras got Saturday off.

Dusty Baker believes in making sure that players are not overused in a 162 game season.

"I talked to Jamie Quirk, who coached Wily in Colorado. He told me that I have to watch him. He gets tired but he won't come to you."

Taveras played in three spring training games for Cincinnati before he went to the Dominican team in the World Baseball Classic. The Dominican team was bounced in three games, then Taveras missed time with a bout of the flu. He didn't get a chance to build strength.

Baker plans to get Brandon Phillips, who has started slowly a rest at some point.

The program of building strength slowly since he didn't play at all last season. Gonzalez has shown signs of shedding his season opening slump. "We told him to run down and touch first base once in a while so he doesn't forget what it feels like," Baker quipped. "But he's starting to hit the ball hard. He's one guy who hits Lowe (Atlanta starter Derek Lowe) well."

Gonzalez was 3-for-10 with a double and home run, against Lowe coming into Saturday's game and on cue hit a two-run home run in the second inning.

Baker plans to watch Joey Votto. "He will need a rest at some point," Baker said of his .375 hitting firstbaseman. "I have to see fatigue. I have to see reduction in bat speed. Or fatgue from running the bases. That's what Ted Williams said. When you stay on the bases all the time, you get worn down."

No comments:

Post a Comment