About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

One Down Two Injured

The Reds started spring training with more outfielders than they could use.

Jonny Gomes, who led the Reds with four home runs this spring, was designated for assignment on Sunday as one of the last five players cut.

The Reds had 10 days to trade him or ask waivers but Gomes elected to stay in the organization and accepted the assignment to Louisville.

But wait a minute.

Willie Taveras did not start because of his flu but tripled as a pinch hitter in the eighth inning.

Then Jerry Hairston Jr., no stranger to the disabled list fouled a ball off his left leg and left the game with a tight, left, lower, leg. Hairston fouled a ball off his calf in the first inning. He then fouled one off his left ankle in the fourth inning.

"I hit my calf pretty good in the first inning," Hairston said. "I tried to keep it loose but it locked up on me. The ball off the ankle killed but it went away. I'll be alright. I'll just take treatment."

Gomes decision could bring him closer to the big leagues than he thought on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment