About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Blow to the Head Makes Dickerson's Week Harder

Chris Dickerson has had a tough week.

In a key situation in Chicago, he misplayed a fly ball with the bases loaded off the bat of Derek Lee that led to the Cubs winning rally.

On Saturday, he dropped a couple fly balls after his athletic ability allowed him to get into position.

"He gets to more balls than we are used to," said manager Dusty Baker, who won a gold glove by playing in leftfield. "Every one hits the ball hard to left and nothings straight. The righthanders hook the ball toward the line and the lefthanders slice to toward the gap. He's been getting to some tough balls to catch he just needs to keep them in the glove."

On top of the everything else Dickerson struck out in the first inning against Roy Oswalt. It was his 13th strikeout over 16 at bats.

Baker gave Dickerson Sunday off to clear his mind, using Laynce Nix in his place.

"Young players have to learn to relax. If you look at the older guys they are usually more relaxed. He puts so much pressure on himself," Baker said.

After the strikeout in the first inning though it looked like things were going to turn around for the young player from Hollywood, California.

He chased down a single near the leftfield line and through out Miguel Tejada, trying for a double in the second inning of the game eventually won by Houston 4-1. He ran down a hit into the gap in Tejada's fourth inning bid for a double. This time Tejada wisely stayed at first after a big turn.
The play saved starter, Johnny Cueto, a run when Hunter Pence singled as the next hitter, Tejada could only get to secondbase.

Dickerson then found his bat and singled sharply to rightfield with one out in the fourth and things were beginning to go Dickerson's way. But................

Joey Votto hit a high chop ground ball to Lance Berkman at first base. He threw to second to try to force Dickerson but the runner's speed prevented shortstop Tejada from fielding the low throw cleanly. The two players butted heads.

Both stayed in the game immediately following the play but Dickerson, who had "four or five" concussions knew something was wrong.

His vision was beginning to blur as he led off the base.

"It was like I had an eyelash in my eye. Then I couldn't see the hitter's face, the ball seamed to split apart almost and looking in the crowd everybody meshed together. I tried to focus on small things. It's like going from HD to regular TV where nothing is clear. I know the symptoms where you lose peripheral visions. I'm not to the point where, I'm losing peripheral visions but I know the signs. My vision is coming back which is a good sign but I'm drowsy and just want to sleep."

Dickerson, who is one of the best pure athletes to come through the Reds system in years, had his first concussion as a fifth grader.

"They lower the backboards a little in the gym and I tried to slam dunk but hit my head on the backboard."

Dickerson didn't need a cat scan but will take tests on Tuesday to make sure that he is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment