
Dateline: Cincinnati
In the waning days of 2026 with the Reds mired in last place, they claimed Oswaldo Cabrera on waivers. He was designated for assignment by the New York Yankees.
Cabrera is 27 years old from Guernas, Venezuela.
Cabrera is a switch hitter who has played all three outfield positions and all four infield positions.
The 6' 200 pound, Cabrera has appeared in 304 games with the Yankees since 2022, hitting .243 with 34 doubles, a triple, 20 home runs and 95 RBI. Her had two at bats in the 2024 World Series as a teammate of Jose Trevino.
He broke his ankle on May 12 last season and suffered tendon damage. He missed the resto of the season. He appeared in three games with the Yankees this season. At Scranton Wilkes Barre, he appeared in 122 games, hitting .288 with 14 doubles, a triple, 19 home runs and 69 RBI. He stole 12 bases in 13 tries.
"I am excited since the first moment that I walked in this group made me feel in a family," Cabrera said. "This is something really beautiful. I feel like its the first day of a new school."
"I'm here to do my job and help the team win," Cabrera said. "That's all I have on my mind. Terry Francona didn't say too much about my role here. I've heard a lot of good things about him. I wanted to meet him in person. He gave me a beautiful welcome."
Cabrera felt pain in the beginning of the season.
"I was in a little bit of pain at the beginning of the season. I'm glad I was playing every single day. I was getting better with the great staff that we had there in (Scranton). Right now I fell 100 percent," Cabrera said. "It was tough. I was in pain every single day but I'm through it. A month ago, I didn't think much about it so it is not so bad."
Cabrera resides in Miami where he has worked out with the Reds Eugenio Suarez.
"My first year in pro ball when I was 16 years old. It was the first year he hit 20 home runs. We were working out in Miami together. It was so much fun. He made me feel like part of his family. We had some beautiful moments down there. Trevy (Jose Trevino) is my favorite teammate from the Yankees. Trevy is one of those guys you want to be around. He's the greatest human being."
"My favorite position is whatever the manager wants me to play that day," He finished.
Francona had a scouting report on him not only on the field but off the field as well.
"I had multiple messages, not that he's a good, that he's the best guy," Terry Francona said. "That makes you feel good. Trevy had already told us that anyway. I think it's a smart thing for us to do. Who knows what happens but he's a switch hitter, who can play multiple positions. He's a great kid. It doesn't seem any harm in trying it. I know there are probably people, poo pooing it. I think it makes sent to us."
The Reds had to make room for him by sending TJ Friedl to Louisville.
"That was the hard part," Francona said. "We spent some time with him. We talk about Cabrera being a wonderful kid. TJ is in that category. As hard as the year was for him. (91 games, .172 with six doubles, a triple, four home runs and just 20 runs scored.) He never once was not a fantastic teammate. I told him that three or four times. It is meaningful. If someone calls me about him, I will tell them the truth and I mean that in a good way. It would be hard for me to say what will happen, right now. Things have to play out. He had been here 10 years and he thanked Nick (Krall). We talked to him about a few things. He was TJ and I mean that in a complimentary way."
The Reds placed Spencer Steer on the 60-day injured list to put Cabrera on the 40-man roster.
The Reds sent Julian Aguiar back to Louisville and recalled Zach McCanbley from Triple A Louisville.

No comments:
Post a Comment