About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer and a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992.I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble.I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, September 20, 2026

Chase Burns Placed On Injured List Finished For Last Seven Games

          

    https://gofund.me/b67c71781



Dateline: Cincinnati  


The Reds placed Chase Burns on the 15-day injured list with a tight groin. He will miss the last seven games of the season.

The Reds designated TJ Friedl for assignment, meaning his days with the Reds are likely over.

Carson Spiers, who had surgery last August, was added to the Reds roster.

Burns made 29 starts in his first full season in the major leagues. He was 15-3 with a 2.86 ERA. He pitched 154 1/3 innings. He walked 56 and struck out 185.

"It's not how I wanted it to end but there was a lot of growth this season," Burns said. "We have no idea what's going to happen next year but to get to 154 from 109 is huge and sets me up for next year. It is a lot to put on your body. There was some pain here and there but It was good to go through it."

The Reds were concerned that Burns volume of innings would exceed his 109 1/3 from last season by too much. The Reds decided to piggy back Brandon Williamson over Burns' last three turns in which he was limited to three innings.

Burns felt his groin tighten on Friday (091826) against the Chicago Cubs. 

"It didn't make sense to push him for a three-inning start," Terry Francona said. "He did a really good job and we got him to the point to where next year, no matter how he pitches, it's not going to be, we have to be cautioned with this." 

Spiers had a long road back to the Reds. He made the team out of spring training to take the spot in the rotation while Andrew Abbott was getting over an injury.

"That was the other part," Francona said. "We wanted to find a way to get him here anyway. By everyone's account he does everything right. He was in Arizona and kind of led that group. He is a leader and a really good kid. We had good reports on him from Triple A."

Spiers spent most of the year in Arizona but was able to make four starts for Louisville. He pitched 20 1/3 innings with a 3.54 ERA.

"It was really good to get innings this year. That was my whole focus," Spiers said. "Throwing the ball well has just been awesome. It is emotional when you think back on those 12 months (He had "Tommy John" surgery August 13). I put in a ton of work, a ton of hours. I did everything I could the right way. I learned how to be a dad. We had a baby girl this off season. She was with me through the whole rehab process. As for pitching, I didn't change a whole lot but I did get to mess around with a few things. I worked on my sweeper."

"Honestly the toughest part was once you start throwing lives (BP) and getting into games but it is such a lengthy process. You have doctors protocol's that you have to follow. Once I started throwing and throwing well, It was hot in Arizona too, so I was like, get me out of here. I stuck with protocols and that was the toughest part."

It was difficult for Francona to let Friedl go despite the tough year he had.

"We had talked to TJ and Nick (Krall) walked him through how it was going to work," Francona said. "TJ has been gone two days. I don't know what is going to happen with him. It wasn't that were trying to get him out. I will always root for that kid as will a lot of people here." 



No comments:

Post a Comment