About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer and a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992.I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble.I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Tony Santillan And Graham Ashcraft Nearly Ready For Prime Time

    https://gofund.me/b67c71781



Dateline: Cincinnati  


The Reds bullpen has been stretched to its limit this season to the point that the organization began to stretch late inning relievers, Luis Mey and Zach Maxwell out to pitch more than one inning.

In the meantime, Tony Santillan has been recovering from a strained oblique and Graham Ashcraft is nursing a strained elbow.

Santillan pitched a scoreless inning on Tuesday (081826) against Indianapolis. He struck out two and threw 15 pitches, nine for strikes. It was his third rehab outing.

"The plan is to activate him on Friday, give him a couple days to regroup and make sure he's ok. We will activate him on Friday in Arizona," Terry Francona said. 

Ashcraft threw live batting practice at Great American Ball Park on Thursday (081526). 

"He will throw to hitters Saturday in Louisville," Francona said. "He will pitch in Louisville on Tuesday (082526)."

Maxwell pitched 2 1/3 innings on Tuesday night. He had pitched 2 1/3 in Louisville in his last time out.

"He threw 41 pitches and had five days off," Francona said. "Brad (general manager Meador) have talked a lot about this. A lot of time the guys that are eighth and ninth pitchers at Triple A, when they come up here, they're not. You need them to go longer. They have been trying to make a point of stretching those guys out. Like Mey, the same thing. I think it helps them to throw strikes. It doesn't limit you to making a roster move after somebody pitches."

Spencer Steer will see a specialist in Arizona about his wrist injury.




No comments:

Post a Comment