About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer and a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992.I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble.I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, August 31, 2026

Padres String Hits Together To Torture Brady Singer

   https://gofund.me/b67c71781



Dateline: Cincinnati  

The San Diego Padres shutout the Reds for the 15th time this season and the fifth time in August in a 5-0 win.

The Reds had chances against the Padres starter Michael King in their first three at bats with characteristically nothing to show for it.

Hector Rodriguez singled to open the bottom of the first. Elly De La Cruz was the first victim of Jackson Merrill's larceny. Sal Stewart doubled with Rodriguez stopping at third. JJ Bleday hit a ball hard but Ty France gloved it on a Sunday hop and stepped on the bag as Rodriguez held. Tyler Stephenson struck out swinging. 

 In the second inning, Eugenio Suarez was hit by a pitch to open the frame. Matt McLain singled but TJ Friedl forced McLain at second. Edwin Arroyo and Rodriguez struck out with a man on third and one out. 

The Reds came into the game dead last in Major League Baseball with a .217 batting average with runners in scoring position. They were already 0-for-4 in three innings.

The Reds put two on with two outs after Merrill scaled the fence to rob Stewart of his 32nd home run. Suarez grounded out. 

Brady Singer gave up hits in the first two innings but they didn't move. 

The Padres ambushed Singer in the fourth. Six straight hits by Manny Machado, Ty France, Merrill, Xander Bogaerts, Dustin Harris and Luis Campusano had hits with Bogaerts stinging a two-run double.

"I just tried to keep it on the plate. I didn't want to walk anyone to make things work. I was hoping they would hit one to a fielder to get a double play but they put good swings on them," Singer said.

The Padres put two on with one out in the fifth on Machado's third hit of the game and France's second to put runners on first and third. 

"I think he went through that inning and he was probably catching too much of the plate," Terry Francona said. "They got where they were going first to third. We had holes open. They used the whole field. They went first to third and he couldn't make that one pitch to get out of it."

Julian Garcia relieved Singer who pitched 4 1/3 giving up 10 hits and four runs. He didn't walk anyone and struck out five.

Garcia struck out Merrill and Bogaerts to strand both inherited base runners.

Homeplate umpire Manny Gonzalez was removed from the game with heat exhaustion. The game was finished with three umpires.

Fernando Tatis Jr. doubled off Pierce Johnson in the seventh. France drove him in with his third single of the game. 

Lefthander Kyle Hart a Cincinnati native and Sycamore High School grad relieved King in the seventh inning.

Tony Santillan came in from the bullpen to start the eighth.


No comments:

Post a Comment