About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer and a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992.I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble.I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, July 31, 2026

Nick Lodolo Uses New Grip In Live BP Tony Santillan And Graham Ashcraft Progress

     https://gofund.me/b67c71781


Dateline: Cincinnati  

Nick Lodolo used 50 pitches to test his new grip on his breaking ball.

Lodolo's problems with blisters is well documented he has missed time the last two years. He developed a blister on the last start of spring training. He didn't start the season until May 8. He made 12 starts before another blister landed him on the injured list on July 27 retroactive to July 12.

The Reds started working on a new grip which he used in a live batting practice against TJ Friedl, Jose Trevino and Ivan Johnson.

"I threw it a pretty good amount," Lodolo said. "It is certainly something that I'm excited about. If you asked me a week ago about making an adjustment, I'd say it was huge. I feel a lot better with it, now that I've been throwing it. It is not an earth shattering difference. Throwing it for a strike is the biggest thing. Actually, I threw a lot of them for strikes."

Elsewhere Tony Santillan got a scan on his left oblique strain that put him on the injured list on June 16. 

"It was very good," Terry Francona said. "He is going to be throwing a side here soon. It's an expedited recovery program. We don't want to slow him down. We also don't want him to reaggravate it. That is going to be difficult because he wants to pitch. I really think it helps guys recover. He's really been competing. I think there is something to be said for that.

Santillan pitched in 80 games last season. This season due to nagging aches and pain, he is down to 34 games. Last season after 107 team games Santillan made 53 appearances.

Brock Burke, who has appeared in 55 games, to pick up the slack. Burke pitched a scoreless inning against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Thursday (073026). It was his 10th consecutive scoreless outing since July 10.

Graham Ashcraft will throw a bullpen in Arizona on Tuesday (080426). He will have another in Cincinnati when the Reds come off their next road trip. 

He has been on the injured list since May 29 with a sprained UCL on his right elbow. Ashcraft appears to have avoided surgery.


No comments:

Post a Comment