About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Dairon Blanco Belts Two Home Runs To Rip Reds

 


 


Dairon Blanco hit a single, two home runs, including his first career grand slam to rout the Reds as the Kansas City Royals scored early and often in a 13-1 win. Blanco drove in seven runs. He had five on the season coming in.

The Royals jumped on Nick Lodolo (9-5) for eight runs in the first three innings.

"I got hit," Lodolo said. "There's no question I wasn't sharp but I don't have to be sharp to be successful. I have to find a way to get back on track. We're in a position to stay in the hunt. I didn't let us do that tonight. I got to be that guy to go out there and win the game. I know I can do that."

Maikel Garcia singled to open the game. Bobby Witt Jr. doubled to the gap in right center with Garcia stopping at third. Salvatore Perez hit a sacrifice fly to left field. 

In the second inning.Freddy Fermin doubled, leading off. Two outs later Dairon Blanco hit a home run off the top of the center field fence. 

Vinniie Pasquantino and Perez singled to open the third. Lodolo walked Hunter Renfroe and Fermin to force in a run. Paul DeJong singled for the fifth run. Buck Farmer came in and surrendered a grand slam home run to Blanco, his second of the game.  Witt walked and scored on Pasquantino's second hit of the inning, a double.

The Royals sent 12 batters to the plate to score seven runs.

Blanco singled in a run in the fourth and Garcia hit a sacrifice fly in the fourth.

Royals' starter Michael Wacha (10-6) gave up a single to Jonathan Inidia to start the game but Elly De La Cruz lined out to Renfroe in right, who doubled up India at first. He then retired the next seven in a row.

Two errors by De La Cruz allowed the 13th run to score in the fifth.

Wacha pitched six shutout innings, allowing four hits and a walk with nine strikeouts.

Angel Zerpa entered in the seventh. Jeimer Candelario broke the shutout with his 20th home run of the season.

"Tonight the Royals beat us in every way. It's one game. We have too much to play for," David Bell said.

No comments:

Post a Comment