About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Santiago Espinal Leads Reds To A Win Over The Cubs


  

Santiago Espinal had four hits, the first four-hit game, including a two-run home run to pace the Reds to a 6-3 win.

The Reds jumped on Chicago starter, Justin Steele, in the first two innings.

Jonathan India walked to leadoff the game. Tyler Stephenson singled with two outs. Jeimer Candelario walked to load the bases. TJ Fiedl singled to score two.

Noelvi Marte walked to open the second. Espinal extended his hitting streak to 10 games depositing his seventh home run into the Cubs bullpen. India doubled and scored on Stephenson's two-out single.

"I think the utility role is the toughest role in baseball, not playing every day," Bell said. "You come in the big spots and are expected to make great plays. He's done that all along. Early in the season, he wasn't getting the playing time. It is tough to evaluate. He has that professionalism. He plays hard but he's able to slow everything down. Defensively, he has a lot of confidence in himself."

The Reds traded scheduled starter, Frankie Montas, Monday night. David Bell designated this a bullpen game. Tony Santillan started and pitched a scoreless first inning. Nick Martinez took over. He pitched four scoreless frames on only four hits.

"He's been going back and forth, start relief," Bell said. "To stay ready to do that shows that attitude to do that. It is just impressive what Nick is doing for our team."

There is a spot open in the starting rotation with Graham Ashcraft on the 60-day IL with a strained right elbow.

"We have to figure that out," Bell said. "Nick has been valuable in so many roles."

Martinez could be moved into the rotation now that Frankie Montas has been traded.

"I still have some fight in me. We lost some good guys that could help us win. We really put out the vibes but we have Pagan and Gibaut coming back. For me it is more lead by example. I could step in whatever the team needs. If they need me to step in there, I'm ready to go or if they need me to continue doing what I'm doing, I'm ready to do that."

Any personal preference?

"At this point, I'm fighting to get into the playoffs. That's what my focus is. If that is what they think will get us into the playoffs, then yes, put me into the rotation. If the role that I have now gives us the best chance to make the playoffs, let's rock and roll."

Lyon Richardson entered in the sixth. Seiya Suzuki singled off Elly De La Cruz' glove. Cody Bellinger, who just came off the injured list hit his 10th home run. Richardson retired the next two batters but walked Dansby Swanson. Bell brought on left-hander, Justin Wilson to face left-handed batter, Pete Crow-Amstrong. Wilson preserved the three run lead as Crow-Armstrong flied out to deep right.

Chicago scored a run on a bases loaded wild pitch, Wilson walked Ian Happ and left with two outs. Fernando Cruz walked Suzuki and Bellinger singled to load the bases. Cruz threw a wild pitch before retiring Isaac Paredes on a soft line out to short.

Stephenson had three hits. Espinal was 4-for-4 with a home run, single and two doubles.

Will Benson ran for Espinal in the eighth. Spencer Steer hit a two-out double to increase the Reds' lead to 6-3.

Alexis Diaz entered to earn his 21st save in 23 attempts.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment