About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Reds Pound Rockies With A Sledge Hammer With Four Home Runs

 


  

Tyler Stephenson, Rece Hinds, Will Benson and Spencer Steer hit home runs to power the Reds to an 12-6 win over the Colorado Rockies.

Hinds hit a 421 foot home run in his debut on Monday night and had a double. He was better in his second game with a double, triple and a 458 foot home run. He is the first player in Major League history to get five extra-base hits in his first two games.

"I was looking for a single on the last at bat," Hinds said. "I didn't come through though. I didn't know that (the first player to get five extra base hits in his first two games). I know that I was doing some pretty cool stuff though. I try not to look at the board. I try to stay the course and stay humble and do my thing out there."

The Reds exploded for five runs in the second inning. 

"Rece is playing with confidence and is having fun," David Bell said. "He's contributing to wins and these are big games for us. I saw on the board that he was the first player to get five extra base hits in his first two games. That makes sense. I've never seen that before."

Reds' starting pitcher, Nick Lodolo, struck out the side in the first inning. Rockies' starter Cal Quantrill followed suit by striking out three Reds batters in the bottom of the first.

Lodolo threw a scoreless second inning. Tyler Stephenson hit a 3-0 pitch into the upper deck in left field. Edwin Rios took a walk. Noelvi Marte was hit with a pitch. Santiago Espinal singled to center to score Rios. Benson hit a three-run home run his 10th. The Reds weren't finished. Elly De La Cruz blooped a double to left. Jeimer Candelario hit a long drive down the right field line. It was ruled a home run by first base umpire, Emil Jimenez but it was overturned because it was foul. Candelario grounded out to end the inning.

Rain delayed the game for 44 minutes after Lodolo got two outs in the third inning. 

Brenton Doyle hit his 12th home run to deliver the Rockies' first run of the series in the fourth inning. Jacob Stallings doubled and Michael Toglia hit his 11th home run to put the Rockies within two runs. Nolan Jones singled to drive Lodolo from the game.

He pitched 3 2/3 innings, allowing four runs on five hits and a walk. I his first start since coming off the Injured List with a blister on his left index finger.

"We didn't expect Nick to go deep in the game. He was really good before the rain. The rain was a big factor. He was only going to go five innings," Bell said.

Nick Martinez, the long man, entered the game with the tying run at the plate. Hunter Goodman, who doubled for the Rockies' first hit, lined a pitch down the third base line to close within in a run.

The Reds increased their lead in the fifth against Peter Lambert. Candelarion walked. Stephenson doubled to the left center field gap. Hinds tripled to score Stephenson.

Hinds second home run started a two-out rally. Espinal singled. Benson doubled and Espinal scored on an error by right fielder Goodman. Steer hit his 14th home run.

"I've always had power growing up," Hinds said. "I guess I have some natural strength. I definitely do get hot and when I do I feel like nothing can stop me. Whatever I can do to help the team honestly. I like being here with they guys and they welcomed me with open arms.

Doyle hit his second home run in the game, his 13th of the season, along with a double and a walk.

Marte hit a sacrifice fly after Stephenson doubled and Rios singled him to third.




No comments:

Post a Comment