About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, July 7, 2024

Elly De La Cruz Is The Reds All-Star

 


  

The Reds lone member of the 2024 National League All-Star team is Elly De La Cruz.

One of the most exciting players in the game will represent his team in Texas for the mid-summer classic.

De La Cruz is hitting .247 and been on base at a .343 clip with a OPS plus slugging at a healthy .813 rate.

The 22-year old, who burst on the scene in June of last season has excited fans all over baseball.

"It was very well deserved,, Reds' manager David Bell said. "Our team is so excited for Elly, starting with him as a teammate. He is a joy to be around every single day. From day one of spring training he has started to get better in all areas. He's played every game except for one inning. He's played hard every single day. To be recognized at the half way point for what he's done. It is nice for guys to get recognized."

Although he's made some mistakes and leads baseball with 119 strikeouts, his energy can carry a team now and he is learning.

"He has adjusted so fast," Bell said. "He doesn't have the kind of ego where he thinks he has it figured out. He is very observant and smart. There will be more things to come up, yet he is very stable and sure of himself. You look him in the eye and say it one time and he uses it."

He is hitting .252 left handed and .246 right handed. De La Cruz hit 11 home runs left handed and four right handed. He is fourth in baseball in triples and lead Shohei Ohtani is the speed/power ratio at 22.2. (home runsXstolen bases/home runs plus stolen bases) x2.

 "It means a lot. I thank God for the opportunity. It means a lot to me," De La Cruz said. "I wasn't thinking about being an All-Star. I want to go. I just like playing every day. I expect good things like the All-Star games and World Series to happen."

As a fan favorite a lot of De La Cruz shirts are all over Great American Ball Park.

"It feels great the fans like me," De La Cruz said. "I'm happy that I can be an example for the young fans. I hope they are able to play hard and play well like I do."

The youngster from Sabana Grande de Boya, Dominican Republic is working hard to adjust to the game and life in the United States.

"I'm most proud of learning English. Second it has been the adjusted I made this season. It is very important that I play every day. That's what it's all about," De La Cruz said.

"The good energy that you bring could change the game. The outcome can change immediately. It's the way that I play. It means a lot that my teammates are happy for me. It shows they will over have my back."

De La Cruz will seek out Ohtani at the game in Texas.

"I'm learning Japanese to speak to Ohtani."


No comments:

Post a Comment