About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, June 24, 2024

Reds Force Pittsburgh To Walk The Plank With Offensive Barrage Off The Boat


  

The Pittsburgh Pirates started the day one game ahead of the Reds as they opened a three-game series on Monday. The Reds offense blasted the Pirates putting up an 11-5 win.

These two teams scored a total of nine runs combined in the three-game series last week but Spencer Steer drove in three runs, Jonathan India and Elly De La Cruz had three hits, including hit 14th home run of the riverboat in centerfield.

"All day we were messing around with each other to see how hard we could hit it," India said. "I was getting him in BP. He said no way. He said, you can't hit it harder than me. I said you can't even hit the boat. And then he did it in the game and I was in awe. I couldn't believe he did it. I think we'll do it every day."

Bryan Reynolds extended his hitting streak to 21 games after the Pirates got two infield hits from Edward Olivares and Andrew McCutchen.

Bailey Falter, the Pirates starter, faced nine batters in the first three innings, retiring all of them. He was forced to face all nine batters in the fourth inning and the Reds took command.

India and De La Cruz singled up the middle. Jeimer Candalario hit a high chop to first base. Rowdy Tellez had one play and it was a throw to Falter covering. The runners moved up a base. Spencer delivered the Reds' lead with a double to the left center field alley. Tyler Stephenson reached on an infield hit. Stuart Fairchild doubled the same gap to score two more runs. He went to third on a throwing error. Santiago Espinal walked. Levi Jordan, making his first major league appearance, hit a long fly ball to right driving in his first run.

The Pirates got two runs back against Carson Spiers. Olivares, Jack Suwinski and Yasmai Grandal singled for one run. After McCutchen flied out. Reynolds walked to load the bases. Cruz hit into a force play to allow Suwinski to score but Tellez was called to preserve the margin.

Spiers picked up his first career win with six innings, in which he allowed three runs on seven hits. He walked one and struck out five.

"I kind of got singled to death early," Speirs said. "Three hits to start the inning. DJ (pitching coach Derek Johnson) came out and we regrouped. It was awesome to celebrate with these guys and it's cool to celebrate with Levi (Jordan). He's one of my guys down in Triple A. We've had a fun season together."

The Reds got those two back. India doubled. De La Cruz hit a ground ball up the middle off the glove of the diving Nick Gonzales. De La Cruz took second and scored on a single by Steer, who drove in his third run of the game. 

The Reds poured it on against Daulton Jefferies. Jordan doubled for his first Major League hit. Luke Maile drove him home with a single. India, second double and third hit of the game preceded De La Cruz' 14th home run 439' off the river boat in center field. 

"It was everything I expected and a lot more," Jordan said. "I think every kid dreams of playing in the big leagues someday.  I grew up watching baseball and being a fan of it, then getting the opportunity to play. I've just been so overwhelmed before the game, during the game and after so far. Everybody has reached out. And the fans, I've never been in a situation where people cheered for me like that, just for my debut. That was worth some chills."

Oneil Cruz hit his 11th home run off Fernando Cruz in the seventh inning. 

Olivares had three hits for the Pirates.



No comments:

Post a Comment