About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Pirates Shackle Reds To Pilfer The Series


  

Rowdy Tellez and Andrew McCutchen homered to power the Pittsburgh Pirates while Luis Ortiz shackled the Reds to win the rubber game of the series, 6-1.

Tellez singled to open the second inning. He was forced at second by Ke'Bryan Hayes. Graham Ashcraft walked Conner Joe. Jack Suwinski singled to drive in the first run of the game.

The Reds tied the game in the third inning. Stuart Fairchild singled to leadoff. He took second on a balk. The red hot Jonathan India doubled, his second hit of the game, to score Fairchild.

India has an eight game hitting streak and five straight multi-hit games. He has been on base in 11 straight plate appearances.

Tellez recaptured the lead for the Pirates with a first row line drive into the left field stands off Ashcraft. It was his third of the season.

"It's been a long season, the ups and downs," Tellez said "It's nice to get that going. We're playing some good ball. When the team playing good it's always a relief. Any time you can take two of three in the division. It's always nice."

Andrew McCutchen hit his 11th home run with Jason Delay, who doubled on base in the fifth inning.

"McCutchen has both (power and speed)," Shelton said. "I'm not sure Rowdy does. He stole a base the other day. I think he was proud that they picked over."

Delay hit his second double of the game to plate two runs with two out in the sixth. 

Ortiz allowed just four hits in six innings. He made his first big league appearance at GABP on September 13, 2022. Delay was his catcher that day.

"I had confidence in my pitches and attacking the strike zone, said Ortiz through an interpreter. "I was excited when they told me I starting. I wanted to show I could do my job either starting or out of the bullpen."

"I was a starter for many years and I like that role too. I will do thIe job the team wants me to do. I'm available"

It was Ortiz first start of the season after performing long and short relief roles.

"Ortiz had been in the bulk role which is similar to a start but to start the game. The biggest thing was no walks. He gave up the run came back and had a shut down inning. Overall, it was extremely impressive," Derek Shelton said. "Carmen (Mlodzinski) threw yesterday. I think with the way they (Reds) construct their lineup, I thought it was a good matchup for us. At some point we wanted to give him a start. We thought today was the appropriate day."

Ashcraft in his first day back from exile in Louisville, allowed six runs on nine hits in 5 1/3 innings.

"The first couple innings felt really good," Ashcraft said. "The rest of the game, I was falling behind. I have to keep filling up the strike zone."

Former Reds' closer Aroldis Chapman followed two scoreless innings by Kyle Nicolas to finish off the Reds.



 Derek Shelton


" We bounced back really well. We didn't play well the first day here. We didn't throw the ball well. To bounce back in a division series was really important for us."


Luis Ortiz through interpreter


(Ortiz made his debut hear on September 13, 2022.)

Rowdy Tellez


No comments:

Post a Comment