About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, June 28, 2019

Scooter Gennett Returns Tucker Barnhart To Injured List


Three months ago Scooter Gennett reached for a ground ball in an Spring Training game in Arizona.

Tonight he returns to the Reds' lineup batting sixth and playing second base.  Gennett contributed 50 home runs and drove in 189 runs the last two seasons. 

"I've had a lot of time to think about that day in Arizona," Gennett said.  "What if I didn't go after that ball like that?  This is the most time I've had to watch games on TV and not be in the dugout."

The Reds' offense has shown life lately, Gennett is expected to give it that extra lift, 78 games into the season.

It’s so nice to have him back," David Bell said. "This is earlier than I expected. ... He’s a big part of this team on and off the field. No question he’s going to help us. He’s a big part of our offense. He’s been a big part of the offense the last couple of years.

Gennett picked up some knowledge by watching from a distance.

"I watched hitter who are similar to me," Gennett said.  "I watched how pitchers pitched to them and why.  I wondered why pitchers pitched me off the plate like I was Barry Bonds.  I realized it was because I would swing at them.  Now I will have a plan when I get into the batters box."

Tucker Barnhart strained his oblique swinging at a pitch and will go on the 10-day injured list retroactive to Sunday.

Bell is not counting on Barnhart to comeback in 10 days.

"I'd say it will be much longer than 10 days," Bell said.  "I don't know the timetable, but it will probably be significant."

Curt Casali will do most of the catching,

Kyle Farmer will be the backup catcher.  He was drafted as a catcher and caught extensively in the minor leagues  He has been in 73 Major League games and caught in four of them. 

"Kyle Farmer is our catcher," Bell said. "Even though he has not caught during the season, he’s worked very hard to stay on top of his catching skills. He’s done everything he can on the side to keep his skills ready."

Farmer played everywhere this spring, including catching and shortstop.













No comments:

Post a Comment