About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, June 14, 2019

Fathers Day In Major Leagues Special For Delino DeShields




Delino L DeShields has played in the Major League postseason in front of packed houses but Sunday it will be more nerve racking than anytime in his competitive life.

The 10-year veteran of the Reds system, who is the first base coach will be in the opposing dugout from his son.  Delino D DeShields is playing centerfield for the Texas Rangers on Fathers Day against the Reds in Cincinnati.

"It is always good to see him," said the elder DeShields.  "I don't know how many of you have kids that play ball but this is nerve racking.  I played in front of packed houses and did it all but there is nothing like watching your kids play ball."

DeShields follows young Delino after games, sends him texts.

"I really don't like watching him play to tell the truth; him or my daughter," the father of the father of five said.  His daughter Diamond plays professional basketball in the WNBA after a college career at North Carolina and Tennessee.  All five of them will be together.  Diamond plays for the Chicago Sky which plays a game in Indianapolis on Saturday.

"I am the father that would be out in center field," DeShields said.  "I was away from it all. I never liked to be around other parents. It is just me.  I didn't like that whole scene.  It worked for me."

There will not be a lot of mixed feelings during the game.

"Of course I want my son to do well but I want our guys to do well," DeShields said.  "You always want your kids to do well as a father.  I'm a father first."

The dress rehearsal for this game was on March 20 when the Reds met the Rangers in Surprise, Arizona.  The younger Delino was in the lineup in centerfield. It was a subject of discussion that the Reds would play the Rangers on Father's Day.  Rookie manager Chris Woodward nearly missed the chance to allow the event to happen but was reminded at the last minute.  He won't forget on  Sunday.  Woodward put DeShields in the lineup for Friday night.  He showed his personal notes on the lineup card to the media to play DeShields on Sunday.

The meeting nearly didn't happen, however.   Texas sent a struggling DeShields to Triple A Nashville with a .182 average on May 24.  He hit .274 with Nashville with three home runs to earn a recall on June 2.  Since the recall, DeShields is hitting .333 raising his average on the year to .226.

"I really can't know how his father feels," Woodward said.  "I think about my nine-year old and I can't imagine taking out the lineup card and watching him come out."

Woodward was not going to bring up DeShields just for the Father's Day spectacle.  The young DeShields had to earn it.  DeShields earned a trip back with advice from his father.

"I told him he has to play better," DeShields said.  "This is the Major Leagues.  I am a father first.  I tried to do it in an encouraging way but you have to earn your way."

"It will be surreal," Woodward said.  "I didn't really think about this when we sent Delino to Nashville.  It wasn't the main thought but this did cross my mind.  It was nice to get him back up .  I'm glad it worked out this way.  He's done a heck of a job for us since we brought him back.  He's impacted every game. Every time he steps on the field he's making a positive effort."

David Bell, the Reds' rookie manager has been in this position many times with his father Buddy Bell.  Buddy was a manager in Detroit, Colorado and Kansas City.  David played against his father as the opposing manager at each stop of Buddy's managerial career.

"We did it in spring training and that was cool to see," Bell said.  "He's definitely taking the lineup card out tonight.  I can't imagine.  I remember my dad saying it was tough.  The first time I was with Cleveland and he was in Detroit.  After awhile it wasn't a big deal.  I know what it is like from the player's side.  You're more focused on the game."









No comments:

Post a Comment