About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Welcome To The 150th Year Of Reds Baseball Tradition Mixed With Innovation





Harry and George Wright started the concept of paying good players to play baseball 150 years ago in 1869 in Cincinnati.

The Reds with a new manager, a general manager with less than a year's tenure and a new starting rotation, continue the tradition as they open training camp in Goodyear, Arizona this morning.

Pitchers and catchers are reporting in as I type this, taking their final physicals before preparing for the 2019 campaign in the National League.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
While the manager David Bell is new to the Reds and taking advantage of his first opportunity to manage a team, he is no stranger to the Reds' organization.   Three generations of his family has already performed for the Reds

His grandfather Gus was a Reds' outfielder and a backup for the recently deceased Frank Robinson in the 1961. David's father, Buddy, played with the Reds for three full season from 1985 to 1988.  Brother Mike toiled 19 games with the Reds in 2000.

Bell kept coach Freddie Benevides but brought in a new staff, hitting coach Turner Ward, assistant hitting coach Donnie Ecker, pitching coach Derek Johnson, assistant pitching coach Caleb Cotham, third base coach J.R. House.

"The very first step is building relationships," Bell said.
ht[[s://amazon.com/

The 46-year old is not clinging to tradition.  He is open to using a short reliever to start a game for an inning and using Michael Lorenzen in the outfield.

Bell and DeShields have a great review from former Reds' manager Dusty Baker.  Bell played for Baker on the San Francisco Giants 2002 pennant winning team.

"I really like David Bell.  He is one of my favorites. When we were both with the Reds, I recommended that he and Delino Deshields were my choices to someday take over as the manager of the Reds," Baker said "We were on the Giants last year and enjoyed trading baseball knowledge to the young coaches and players. He’s very organized, firm but fair. Allowing each person to be themselves but with guidelines of discipline. The Giants are gonna miss him. This is a perfect fit for the City, family and friends."

Bell managed the Reds' Triple A team in Louisville while Baker was the big league manager.  He has Major League experience as a bench coach which will help him in his new role.

The Reds added Tanner Roark, Alex Wood and Sonny Gray to the roster.  Each are proven starters.  They will likely join Anthony DeSclafani and Luis Castillo, the incumbents from last season.

“We haven’t set the schedule yet, but we will have it set up fairly quickly," Bell said not quite ready to name an opening day starter so soon.

Bell listed five pitchers, who will challenge for a rotation role or perform in long relief or a swing role.  Cody Reed, Brandon Finnegan, Sal Romano, Tyler Mahle were mentioned in that group along with Michael Lorenzen.

It is Lorenzen’s role on the team that is the most intriguing.

The 27-year old, who already has four seasons in the big leagues could be a starting pitcher, a reliever, a centerfielder or any combination of these roles.
http://donatelifeohio.org/


“I can tell you what I told him,” Bell said.  “We need him to prioritize pitching, especially early.  He is preparing himself to help our team in any capacity.  He is a great option to have.”

Lorenzen will likely get time in the outfield the second half of spring training and he is excited about it.

“What I like is that they don’t feel they need to put me in bubble wrap,” Lorenzen said.  “It is something that I’ve done all my life.”

Lorenzen plans to chat with the new coaching staff about his expanded role.

“I have been working out in the outfield in addition to my throwing.  I get to stay out on the field longer which I love.  It is something that I haven’t been able to do since I’ve been in pro ball,” Lorenzen said.  “Being limited to one role isn’t normal.  Playing centerfield is one of the best things I do on the baseball field.  Defense has been my strength since I was nine or 10,”

The new role is part of the new excitement aroung camp but also in the city.

Bell, who graduated from Moeller High School can read the city.

“There is new energy in the organization and in the city.  We can’t underestimate the importance of that,” Bell said.  “We want to get people excited about our team.  There is a difference, I think about being excited and feeling that there is something special.  I think we are in the early stages of that.  Things are moving in the right direction.  Lorenzen is at the top of the list that.  We have a lot of work to do.”

Lorenzen echoed his new manager’s assesment.

“There is a lot more expecting to win and a lot less hoping to win,” Lorenzen said.






No comments:

Post a Comment